Green Gulch Ranch has been involved with cattle since the 60’s. George Wheelwright, the original owner, started his herd with Registered Horned Herefords, purchased in Hereford, England. In the 70’s he moved the ranch from Stinson Beach, outside of San Francisco, to Bordertown, just north of Reno. In 1974, the ranch was purchased by Robert Mathews, who continued the registered operation, until his sudden passing in 1976. His wife and daughter, JP, and son-in-law Byrd Harrison, proceeded to expand and further develop the herd. In 1982, the Harrison’s sold their interest in the old ranch and moved the herd to the present location in Sierra Valley. For the next twenty years, Green Gulch Ranch kept improving their genetics, becoming one of the premier breeders of Hereford cattle in Ca. In 2000, the entire registered operation was sold, in order to purchase 2000 acres, contiguous to the original property.
In 2016, the ranch reentered the cattle business with the purchase of 60 head of commercial Red Angus cows. With plans to expand the size of the cattle herd, they recently purchased two red angus bulls from the Red Bluff Bull Sale , including the reserve grand champion Red Angus. The spring calving cows, with their calves, will be able to graze the improved irrigated meadows and rangeland, during the summer and early fall. The calves will then be weaned at that time and placed in the ranch feedlot for further gain. The feedlot, previously used to grow out the registered bulls, consist of four large paddocks, 10 acres each, with 120 foot concrete feed bunks and heated water for winter.
With 250 acres in irrigated meadows and over 1250 acres in rangeland, there is ample room to expand, without negatively impacting the ground.